Desire is the bull. He is heavy with muscle and blind with instinct. He wants to eat, mate, slobber and, should the opportunity arise, run us through with his dirty horns. He can not be blamed for any of it. We admire his simplicity, fertility, and power. He scares the living daylights out of us. The following text is about desire. I write to feel the power of creation, destruction, control. Writing gives me what I can not have in life and delivers me from the agony of domesticity.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Discovery

I could not hold her,
my niece,
for she was so small,
impossibly small.
Born early.

She was still a little yellow
from the jaundice,
her delicate fist curled
against her plush cheek.

When I first came into the room
I did not realize
she was a part of the rumpled baby blanket
on the King-sized bed.

I crept across the bed,
steady so as not to wake her,
this delicate creature,
looked into her soft-featured face.

The rounded nose, puckered lips,
puffy eyes and thin skin,
poreless and new,
a gold swatch of hair.

As I wondered at the smell of her,
so fresh from the womb and clean,
she made a tiny squeak of waking,
my heart skipped a long,
breathless beat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home